Monday, April 2, 2012

Nadia's Tips: LA Marathon

Yes, i have survived my very first LA Marathon. I honestly thought i would never try to do another marathon again, but.... i think I'm addicted!!

I trained so hard for this marathon, so why stop running? I should just continue and try to beat my own time. I finished at 5 hr 30 min. I feel that if i got leaner and lost 10 lbs, i can cut my time by about 45 minutes next year.

My tips for first time Marathon runners:

"Never put a price tag on a good pair of running shoes"-Dad. I don't have many memories of my dad, but the best advice he ever gave me was to never try to 'save' money on shoes. Go to a running store and have them recommend a pair of shoes. You will not regret it. This is essential for a very successful marathon and will prevent so many injuries.

Cut out the fat! I am so guilty of this and i wish i didn't have such a strong sweet tooth. I have cookies everyday. NOT KIDDING. It is my weakness. You need to truly cut out all the bad food. You are what you eat and when you are training; eating healthy makes a world of a difference in your performance.

Sleep. Sleep. Sleep. When you're in training, and you're doing long distance runs once a week and also working out at the gym, sooner or later, it will catch up to you. Rest your body. I made the mistake of not resting my body and i felt exhausted a week prior to the marathon.

For you first time runners, you will learn that running changes your 'bowel movements'. It's embarrassing! (Trust me, i know!) If you normally don't eat at 6 am in the morning, DON'T! Because when you're running for over 3 hours, it increases your movement. If you do eat that early, when you're in training make sure its something light. I know this is TMI, but i went from being a 'once a day/every other day' type of girl, to being a 'FOUR-TIMES-A- DAY' type of girl. So watch what you eat before your run because you don't want to be the person that poops their shorts :/

BODY GLIDE, BODY GLIDE, BODY GLIDE! Once you start running for long periods of time, you might start to chafe. You might get blisters in places you didn't know you would get blisters and you will bleed. Rub body glide all over those areas, so you wont bleed.

Social Drinker? = Big problema! I am a very active social drinker. I consider myself an alcohol connoisseur. Drinking while in training dehydrates your body soooo much. For those of you who cannot give up the booze, FEAR NOT! Just cut back, and make sure you drink more than 80 ounces of water a day.

And lastly- Have fun! Give it 100% and just have fun! The feeling of crossing that finish line is truly indescribable. You feel like you can do anything. As cheesy as that sounds, its true. Running marathons is such a huge physical accomplishment. Aside from the obvious- its not about how much physical endurance you have, its about how much wear and tear you can take!

If any of you decide to run a marathon one day, feel free to ask me for tips and questions! :)

Thanks for reading!


Heels & kisses,

Nadia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...